The entry requirements for PGCE courses leading directly to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) are normally a minimum of.
- GCSE Grade B or above (or equivalent) English and mathematics.
- For Primary, GCSE Grade C or above (or equivalent) science.
- A first degree of a UK institution or equivalent
- Do you have overseas qualifications? Check your qualifications at the NARIC website
- Do you have a HND or HNC qualification in an appropriate subject? Consider two year BSc (Hons) degree programmes for training to teach in the secondary school.
- Do you have a Foundation degree? Contact individual providers to discuss the best route for you.
- Secondary teachers are subject specialists.
- You are expected to have at least 50% degree relevance to the specialist teaching subject being applied for. There may be flexibility in some subjects, other degrees may contain very relevant subject knowledge. For example, engineering, economics, business studies, management science, health science.
- Native speakers of Modern Foreign Languages and Welsh are most welcome to apply, with or without the relevant degree.
- Primary teachers teach all the subjects in the National Curriculum; English, mathematics, science, design and technology, information and communication technology, geography, history, physical education, art, music, religious education and Welsh.
- Your previous education (degree, A level, equivalent qualifications) should match at least one of these National Curriculum subjects.
- If you have a non National Curriculum degree, you should highlight on your application form any modules which relate to primary education.
Looking to teach but lack the minimum GCSEs? Read more>>
Changes from 2014/15
With effect from entry to ITT programmes commencing in academic year 2014/15, the statutory minimum entry requirements have changed.
The statutory minimum entry requirements of a GCSE grade C or equivalent in mathematics and English, have changed to a GCSE grade B or equivalent.
For applicants to primary courses there is the additional statutory entry requirement that you must have achieved a GCSE grade C or equivalent in science. This has not changed and the current requirement will remain in place.