Unfunded School Programmes

GTP Opportunities 2017/18

18 Places are available for maintained schools to apply for unfunded GTP places.  These can be standard one-year places or shorter ones depending on the trainees past experience and qualifications.

The ITET Centres will work with the Regional Consortia to consider allocations for maintained schools, to support new teachers training in secondary schools where a priority recruitment need has been identified within the region.
Training grants will not be available for places in the unfunded categories and the training provider will need to recover all costs directly from the school. This will include payments to the ITET Centre for their costs in managing the programme and carrying out the QTS assessments. The levels of these charges are not set by the Welsh Government and will be a matter for individual negotiation between the ITET Centre and the school.
Unfunded places are available for:

  1. Primary or secondary teachers with teaching qualifications obtained overseas, but nor QTS, who have been employed at a maintained school for at least a year.
  2. Individuals who have a Further Education (FE) teaching qualification, but not QTS, who have been employed at a maintained school for at least a year.
  3. Applicants wishing to train to teach a vocational subject in the delivery of the 14-19 local curriculum in maintained schools, where an urgent need for a qualified teacher has been identified. Vocational subjects are those defined as such by the Database of Qualifications Wales. These places may also be utilised for secondary subjects that are not currently available through QTS-bearing ITET courses at accredited institutions.

General advice for applicants
The ITET Centres, a partnership of employment-based ITET providers will manage the application process and working with the Regional Consortia will decide which cases to support, including the setting of deadlines for receipt of applications.

It is recommended that potential trainees read the whole of the How the GTP operates in Wales - Roles and Responsibilities section before approaching a school. Also read the
GTP Policy and Priorities Statement 2016 and the Employment-based Teacher Training Scheme 2015 (2015 No.1) which sets out the statutory entry requirements for the GTP.

Training in a Further Education institution or a Pupil Referral Unit cannot form part of an approved training programme.

General Advice for Overseas Trained Teachers
If you have qualified as a teacher in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Guernsey, one of the other member states of the European Community, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you can have your qualification assessed for recognition as a qualified teacher.
You need to contact the Education Workforce Council if teaching in Wales by telephone: 029 20460099 or e-mail to: information@ewc.wales
You can view a full list of countries in the EEA at http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/student/eea.php.
If you have qualified as a teacher outside the European Union (EU) you can work for up to two years as a temporary teacher in Wales and four years as a temporary teacher in England.
However, generally speaking, anyone who wishes to work in Wales who is not a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) needs a work permit.
However, before you can apply for the Graduate Teacher Programme, you will need to check the equivalence of your qualifications to UK standards with the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) who can provide written guidance on the comparability of qualifications (there is a charge for this service). Copies of the guidance obtained from NARIC should be submitted with your GTP application to the ITT Centre. NARIC can be contacted on 0871 330 7033, or view www.naric.org.uk

If you are living overseas and thinking about applying for the GTP you should bear in mind the requirement to already have been working in a school in Wales for at least one year before the application.
 ‘Fully qualified’ means that they have successfully completed a programme of professional training for teachers in any country outside the EEA or Switzerland and which is recognised as such a programme of training by the competent authority in that country.
The EEA comprises the member states of the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. 


North and Mid Wales Centre of Teacher Education  South East Wales Centre for Teacher Education South West Wales Centre for Teacher Education